Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Child In You...



When you are young, you wish to be older just so you get to drive a car, or get a spouse, or sport a French beard. However when you are older you wish to revert into that 3-foot tall epitome of innocence and mischief, ironical as it may sound, it is solam veritatem (ie) only the truth!! We wish to re-enter our childhood and relive those cherished memories. Much as I was reminiscing this in my mind, it struck me-“What if I am a child now??”

Or at least what if I pretend I'm an 8-year old, greeting everyone with a very bubbly and hearty smile. There is an effervescing energy that brims within, and no, people won't think I've lost it. It provides the listener with warmth and comfort and creates a friendly environment, in which he feels secure. Informality is often misconstrued as degradation of professionalism. It is indeed sad to experience this many a time. Being sombre doesn't make me perspicacious, nor does being indefatigable make me jejune. There is a difference between being childish and childlike, and I am talking about the latter. 'Why am I telling this?’ will be your next question. What I’m trying to say is there is a child in every one of us, and not expressing it does no one good. It is a sort of imprecation brought upon himself if one chooses not to. Throughout one’s schooling and college one sees vigour, passion, and an undying fire to accomplish. That really changes after you move into your later 20s!! That is as far as I have heard. I’m hardly 19, and my very own IT Training class resembles the scene of our parliament(A catnap is sure not to elude you)!!

Few days ago I saw my friend studying a book which he otherwise calls his ‘pillow’. It was called “The Companies Act, 1956”...some 600-odd sections with alphabets swarming in every page. I don't blame him calling it his pillow. The task is horrendous! The only incentive being discovery of some exquisite English. I questioned him how he studies it?? He merely shows me a notebook in which he had written some notes. “Charts, tables and boxes purport easy understanding of the subject”-he quipped. I call these charts and tables the child in us-'simple and elementary'. Once we bring them out it makes our lives easier and much, much better and uncomplicated.

I’ve often come across this situation many a time:
I was writing an exam. I was confident and started attempting the questions one after the other. One question was very familiar but the answer eluded me. I underwent an ephemeral phase of intense anxiety and self-distress, cursing myself for forgetting the answer. Finally, I remembered the correct answer and let out a loud whoop of relief.
YEESSS !!!!
I’ve vented my exhilarating feel with the whole class. No-one writes for a few seconds, All the eyes staring at me. I’m particularly proud and happy with myself and write the answer with a huge grin on my face. The others take a minute to realize the atmosphere is back to normalcy, some smiled(including the invigilator) while others took a few seconds off to observe my sudden behaviour, and others, partly disturbed continued writing at their established pace.
 I never meant to disturb anybody. I did it for my own satisfaction, and it didn’t harm others. In fact one of my exam mates told me I actually made him laugh by my action and relieved him much of his exam tension. Experiences like this make you live like a child.

Thus my dear reader-"Stay eager, stay expectant, stay excited, like a child. Be fervent and creative, but don't overdo it. There's again a difference between being enthusiastic and being hyper. The former makes you exude confidence. Never ever be callous, be phlegmatic at times when keeping your cool makes you a winner and be fresh, sportive, and keep smiling-It costs nothing !!

No comments:

Post a Comment